Derek Chauven, the disgraced ex-lawyer who once took $5 million from a dying patient and lied to doctors about it, is leaving his law firm and heading to a new career, his lawyer confirmed.
Chauvin, 52, will take a position with a public relations firm, the New York attorney general’s office confirmed.
His departure from the firm, which he once headed, was announced on Friday.
A spokesman for Chauven declined to comment.
Chaunvish, who was arrested in March after a criminal probe by the New Jersey Department of Public Health, pleaded guilty in March to lying to doctors and the public about his work on behalf of the dying man, who died in 2012.
He was sentenced to six years in prison.
He was accused of lying to the public, patients and doctors about his interactions with a dying man who had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
In court documents, Chauven denied lying to anyone about his involvement with the case.
Chavern also was charged in the deaths of five other people, including a man with multiple strokes who died at a New Jersey hospital after he was told he would have to undergo chemotherapy treatments.
He has pleaded not guilty.
ChAverson has said in court documents that he believed the patient had multiple sclerosis but that the treatment could not cure him.
He also said he believed his involvement was legal and ethical.
The New York law firm, Katten Muchin Rosenman & Fisher LLP, declined to say what its new job will be.
It has been a busy year for Chauvin, who has represented a number of clients, including celebrities including Madonna, Sting and the late comedian Bill Hicks.
Chaoven’s attorney, David M. Hochberg, did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.